Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Dream Meal


8.23.06

Avacado-jalapeno glace

Albacore gravlax "terrine" with tapenade

Coffee-infused duck breast with French Lentil Salad

Whipped Brie de Meaux with Tellicherry pepper, fig compote

Blackberry soup with juniper cream and candied lemon peel

White & Red Loire Valley wines

(LA Times Food Section)

Now, why would anybody prefer a Big Mac, when you could spend a whole day preparing, presenting, savoring and sharing such deliciosity? There has got to be a better way to live than running from meal to meal, never really tasting one's food. I will now go raise a glass of chilled wine and imagine such a repast and how I might actually make it happen.

(I love this image that come up for the word "delicious" in Yahoo image search, called Memories Delicious Melon)

And on the subject of delicious experiences, what is that mechanism that triggers those desires in the middle of a commute home, at the scent of a flower, the touch of a child's forehead, the whisper of a shared wish? Will we ever find this a more interesting, laudable query than how to blame others for our problems?

Back to that glass of wine.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bit of a surprise there, Barbery, when I read that "menu." I thought it was a joke! Honest! And it didn't sound appetizing to me at all, and I like --love--food. (It reminded me of a short story David Sedaris wrote in his hilarious book, Me Talk Pretty One Day, when he and a friend had one such meal and then went out and got a hotdog from a street cart). I like good food thoughtfully prepared with choice ingredients, don't get me wrong. But why oh why do the gourmands have to "one up" everyone else and make what could be simple and DELICIOUS dishes weird and strange? It's nice to be original, but what about a simple roast duck (the coffee infused part sounds dreadful) or fig tart? Is it because so many of them need those extra jolts of exotic flavors?
OK, getting away from your point, I know. Guess I just have an axe to grind!

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home