Saturday, October 06, 2007

Sabado


10.06.07

Saturday. Morning breakfast with Lifepath co-director, then more wanderings though this lovely small town. More work in preparation for Monday's meeting at CASA and a side trip to see a house for sale in this neighborhood. Wonderful view of the city and the parochia, the jardin's signature church. Fun to think about life in another culture and Joe and I talk about this friction between gringos and mexicanos, how the former come down to retire but never really integrate in the city. Ironically, he hasn't learned spanish yet himself.

I get to meet another older woman and we talk about this colonialist mentality of privilege attempting to force it's "do-goodery" on the little people without asking permission or showing interest in indigenous ways. She's been working here for ages and inspires me to be humble in my next forays with CASA.

Thunder and lightening promise some entertainment tonight and I'm just aware of the joys of walking again, breathing in this fresh air and wallowing in sunlight. The thought of my hour commute to work wrenches my stomach as I face my last day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home