Tuesday, July 11, 2006

An Ode to our Wine Cellars

7.11.06

From Shadow Dance, Liberating the Power & Creativity of Your Dark Side, by David Richo; Shambala, Boston & London, 1999

"I have it in me to enjoy desire and be free of its grip over me. I can become free of the habit of grasping the transitory and believing it has permanent gifts to give me. WHen I am caught in deisre, I exaggerate and inflate the value and appeal of what I want. I act as if it were all there could be fore me. Under the spell of desire, I go to sleep and become obsessed at the same time. As long as I act as if such delusions are all that compose me, I cannot contact the profound depths of my own potential. Potential means power, and my power is in the hands of hte tyrant of ego as long as I remain inmprisoned in in my illusions.

The most inveterate and insidious habit of my ego is to believe that what I need is outside myself. To be fooled by such an empty promise is the most instrusive obstacle to enlightenment. When I renounce my preoccupation with the necessary outside, I liberate my boundless inner untapped potential. Renunciation does not consist in giving up my human pleasures but in giving up my inproportional expectations from these pleasures. Once I stop searching the streets, I can go down to the wine cellar of my own house, where so many vintages are gathering dust as they await uncorking. What is missing has always been and only is I, the best wine saved till last and waiting, wanting to be poured. 'Be not afraid, it (author's italics) is I.'"

Salut!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home